Blog Headlines: 

Sarah Gives us her amazing Birth Story

Wednesday, 27 January 2016  |  Admin

My birth story

When I look back on Jack's birth I feel a mixture of emotions. It was the best day of my life as my little boy entered the world. 21 months on I can remember it like yesterday. Casting aside my obvious joy of his birth, I also remember some of the tougher times in the early days of his birth.

I had Jack via an Elective Caesarean Section. Jack was in the breech position and after having an ECV (where they try to turn the baby) that failed, I was booked in for a section on the 8th April, a week before my due date. I was honestly terrified. I had never stayed in hospital overnight nor had I had any operations. I had Jack's birth planned in my head and a c-section had never been part of it. Looking back I wish I had been more prepared and had taken some time to read about Caesarean sections. If I had it may have stopped some of the sleepless nights.

On the morning of the 8th April, I arrived at the hospital bright and early. I signed all the relevant forms, changed into my fetching gown and compression socks and when the team were ready for me, I made my way down to theatre. Whilst Wayne changed into scrubs, I had my spinal anaesthetic administered. I remember the warmth that I felt around my legs as it kicked in.

The operation itself flew by. I could feel myself being poked and prodded but it wasn't at all uncomfortable. I'm not very good with blood and gore so I was very happy that there was a screen! The next thing I knew, they told me that they were just going to get Jack out.

Those seconds waiting for Jack to cry felt like an eternity. I'm a naturally anxious person and I always assume the worst. What was actually mere seconds felt like minutes. I was so relieved to hear him scream. Probably the only time I'll ever say that!

The tough part about having a Caesarean section is the recovery. I had a catheter in and was still very numb for the first day. I found it hard to reach for Jack and hated pressing the alarm for help even though I knew I truely needed it. The first time I tried to walk was interesting to say the least. It was like I had lost the use of my legs. Once the catheter was removed, I began to feel more confident moving around. Little did I know, the catheter would be back in another 12 hours.

During the late hours of Wednesday Night, I was lying in my side room holding Jack and talking to my partner Wayne when I felt a gush of blood. The midwives came straight in. I had haemorrhaged and needed attention straight away. The next few hours were tough. Various things were tried to stop the bleeding. In the end I had a balloon inserted into my womb to compress and stop the bleeding. For the next 24 hours I just waited hoping the operation would be successful.

Thankfully it was. The tough thing was that I had to wait for the anaesthetic to wear off again! After a pretty eventful few days I had hoped it would be plain sailing from there. Jack had different ideas. After some midwife checks, the midwife noticed Jack had gone a little blue. She took him off me to run a test on his oxygen levels. Sitting in the side room I heard the alarm go off. I headed outside to see doctors arriving to help Jack who had to be put on oxygen as his levels had dropped to 80. A minimum level of 96 was expected. As it had happened during a milk feed, I just had to change how we fed him. We learned to feed him the midwife way!

After an eventful few days, we went home as a family of three on the Saturday after spending five days in hospital. Jack's birth and it's many complications taught me to expect the unexpected and trust those looking after you.

That worked for me.