Blog Headlines: 

A star is born called Jesse

Monday, 8 October 2018  |  Admin


Jesse’s Birth Story

During the last few weeks leading up to my due date I spent an enormous amount of time researching labour, techniques and ‘what to expect’, I guess you could say the panic was starting to set in! Whilst looking back on this time, I realise some of my google history was a little radical, however one thing I stand by and would advice any expecting Mum is the positive effect that reading other people’s birth stories can have, and certainly did for me, in preparing myself for child birth.

Having said that, there’s always one, who’s story will terrify you, not everyone will have the same outlook on their situation as you, and as I’m sure many of you expectant mums have realised, there’s always someone to share their doom & gloom horror experiences with you. Whatever labor has in store for you, one thing is for sure, when your baby is finally in your arms, it’s the best feeling in the world. So, I wanted to give something back, to alleviate some if the worry that EVERY mum to be must go through.

I had the most wonderful idea and plan for my birth, I had been through a pretty ‘text book’ pregnancy so figured my labour would be the same, right? Wrong. It was Monday 23rd July, and I was 12 days over due, having had 2 failed sweeps, I had been booked in to be induced. I was totally convinced, even on Sunday at 12am that it  wouldn’t get to this, and I would naturally go into labour, and much to my upset, this wasn’t the case. I had no idea what to expect, I triple checked my hospital bag, cleaned the house top to bottom, and went for, what was to be, our last meal as ‘2’ before checking into hospital at 1pm.

It was one of the hottest days if the year, checking the temperature as my partner & I arrived at the hospital car park, it read 32degrees, and once we were inside the waiting room, waiting for a bed, it seemed to feel 100 x hotter, I remember feeling so many emotions; terrified, excited, anxious, and totally overwhelmed as we sat together, waiting. At the back of my mind, I couldn’t help but to feel disappointment, that the water birth I had longed for, wasn’t going to happen, and I almost felt that my body had failed by not naturally going in to labour. At this point I must add that this view was totally changed by the time I was in active labour.

 After a good few hours of waiting, and when I had finally been allocated a bed, I was dehydrated, meaning I had to have a drip, as the baby’s heat rate had become higher than they would like.

Before I knew it, it was 7.30pm, a midwife came to see me and informed me after I’d been monitored for a further half an hour, they would begin to induce me, using a 24 hour pessary.I was so thankful at this point that something was finally happening, after a very long day. The midwife kindly recommended that Dale, my partner, should go home later in the evening, to get some sleep, and they would call him immediately if something changed. I tried to keep a brave face over the next few hours, as we sat together, chatting and him doing his best to reassure, what was clearly, a worried me. 10.00pm came, and we decided it was best for Dale to go home and get some sleep. Love Island was on, and so I managed to watch this, before trying to get some sleep. I was informed I would be checked again at 1.00am. Nothing yet, so I rested.

I was woken at 12.00pm by a dull period pain, which gradually increased, and by 2.00am when a very busy midwife came to see how I was, I felt exceptionality uncomfortable sitting on the bed. I had some paracetamol, and this seemed to help, meaning I was able to get another hour of sleep. By 4.00am something was definitely happening, but on just 2 hours of broken sleep I felt completely exhausted, alone and simply unaware of exactly what was happening to my body. The pains were increasing but there was no regular pattern, I spent the next 3 hours bouncing on the birthing ball to try to remain calm and comfortable where possible. Dale came back to the hospital around 8am, with his cool bag of sausage rolls and snacks that he had baked the night before (what a babe!)

By this time I had a tens machine, which was a god send, it allowed me to focus on something else other than the twinges my body was experiencing. I had this on until active labour began.

As I was so utterly shattered by this point, a midwife who had just started her shift recommended some diamorphine, to help me get some rest. I had one dose of this, and whilst it helped me to relax I personally didn’t like the feeling of not being fully aware and in control of my sleep pattern, I would be chatting one minute and the next I’d wake up from a sleep.

The day passed and I spent most of it between sleeping and bouncing on a ball. At around 5pm I went to go to the toilet, as I stood up I felt a sudden gush of pain, there was so much pressure below and I felt as thought I physically couldn’t walk to the bathroom. I sent a very concerned looking Dale to find the midwife, as he left, I believed my waters had started to trickle. When the midwife arrived I informed her of this, and the pain, and she was then able to get examine me. “I’m afraid your waters haven’t gone, however you are 8cm dilated, we best get you to the delivery suite” – my face said it all, I was thrilled to hear this. The pains I’d been feeling were all steps closer to meeting my baby.

I gathered my belongings, and made my way to the delivery suite, at around 6pm. The midwife, who had been so kind and supportive to me all day, was finishing at 8pm, but she reassured me she would stay with me as long as she could. I was examined, and my waters eventually broke, I have no idea of the time of this, and was using gas and air at this point, as well as continuing to count and breathe with each contraction that took over my body. The counting and breathing enabled me to remain calm, and in control. I soon felt the urge to push, it was at this point that in suddenly dawned on me that this was my own positive birth, and whilst it wasn’t the one I’d planned it was my own unique journey, and this was it, I was about to meet the little human I had been growing for the past 9 months.

My midwife had to go, and I insisted she did after staying well over her shift, she had already done so much for me up to this point. A younger midwife and trainee took over, and they were equally wonderful. Leaving me to do what my body told me it needed to do, and giving me my own space, which is exactly what I needed at this time. The midwives were right, my body knew exactly what it was doing and I felt miraculously calm and collected – so much I napped between contractions!!! Dale, was everything I needed him to be, he was there when I needed him but away when I needed my own time, and an excellent re-hydrating team player (lucosade sport bottles are a must!!)

After 1 hour of pushing Baby Jesse arrived into the world – the most amazing and surreal moment of my life so far – weighing a whopping 9lb 3 and a complete bundle of scrumptiousness! I had done it, grown and delivered our own little human – it’s safe to say, Dale & I were on top of the world.

During labour I suffered third degree tears, and had to go to theatre for stitches. I was so glad Dale had been home for a good nights sleep at this point, as he was able to give me & our newborn baby 100% just when we needed it.

The past 10 weeks have flown by, Jesse is the best thing that’s ever happened to us, and we spend each day learning new things about one another. Pregnancy, child birth and parenting are different experiences for all of us, my advice is to trust your body, it’s the most natural process there is, and to  all of those mums expecting their babies anytime and reading this – good luck, and don’t forget - you’ve got this!!!

Chloe x